Across all tiers, everyone:
- must wear a face covering, in most indoor public settings, unless they are exempt
- should follow the rules on meeting others safely
- should attend, schools, colleges, and universities normally, unless they are self-isolating
- should walk or cycle where possible, and avoid public transport
- should work from home if they can do so
- can visit care homes with special arrangements made
- You must not socialise in groups larger than 6, indoors or outdoors; apart from members of a single household or support bubble
- Businesses and venues can remain open following COVID secure guidelines
Bars, pubs and restaurant venues must be table service only. They must stop taking orders at 10pm and must close by 11pm.
Overnight stays are permitted with your household, within your support bubble, or up to 6 people.
No mixing of households indoors apart from support bubbles.
- You must not socialise in a group of more than 6 people outdoors.
- Pubs and bars must close unless operating as restaurants
- Hospitality venues can only serve alcohol with substantial meals and must stop taking orders at 10 pm and must close at 11pm
- Overnight stays are permitted within your support bubble
You must not meet socially indoors or in many outdoor places with anybody you do not live with, or who is not in your support bubble; this includes in any private garden or at most outdoor venues.
You must not socialise in a group of more than 6 in some other outdoor public spaces
Hospitality settings, such as bars, pubs, cafes, and restaurants must close, but can still continue sales by takeaway, click-and-collect, and drive-through or delivery services
Accommodation such as hotels, B&Bs, campsites, and guest houses must close, with some exceptions.
Indoor entertainment venues must close
Leisure and sport facilities may continue to stay open, but group exercise classes should not go ahead
There should be no public attendance at spectator sport or indoor performances, and large outdoor events should not take place.
Places of worship remain open, but you must not socialise with anyone who is not in your household or support bubble while you are there
Organised sport and physical activity can take place outdoors but not indoors
The government has announced that London and the Southeast will be subject to new Tier 4 restrictions. Under these restrictions everyone must stay at home, except where you have a 'reasonable excuse'.
You must NOT:
- leave or be outside of your home or garden
- meet with friends or family for Christmas
- travel in or out of a Tier 4 area unless you are legally allowed to do so
- travel internationally
For information on all reasonable excuses for leaving your home, exemptions to international and local travel, read our page on Tier 4.
There is separate guidance for: