Oak Lane Medical Centre is located in Twickenham and has a sister practice, Woodlawn, in Whitton. While the practices share a patient list, Woodlawn serves around 3000+ patients, where Oak Lane serves around 800 patients.
Between the two practices, there is one practice manager, one medical secretary, seven receptionists, two nurses, one healthcare assistant, one IT support person, two cleaners and five doctors (three full time, two part time, one locum).
- We recommended that the practice consider the information provided in the waiting area and assess whether the range of materials covers areas of need that may be required by the population
- Patients who had also attended the Woodlawn Medical Centre told us that they prefer Oak Lane because there is more confidentiality in reception
- Access to appointments varied across patients interviewed: some were able to get an appointment on the day if they needed whereas others had to wait a week or two
- The poor communication through the process for booking appointments combined with the very short window of time available to book appointments creates inequality in access to appointments. We therefore recommended that the practice review and clarify their appointment booking system
- Staff were described by patients as respectful, friendly and pleasant. Patients reported high confidence and trust in the doctors and nurses
- Reception staff were generally complimented, however some reported language barriers with some staff who couldn't speak English and were rude. The practice should review receptionists’ interpersonal and customer service skills, providing training where necessary
- We recommended that the practice review their prescription service to identify the cause of failings and prevent any future breakdowns in communication about prescriptions between the practice and pharmacies.
You may also wish to read the report of the sister practice, Woodlawn Medical Centre.
For further information please read our full report on Oak Lane Medical Centre available below.
Reviewing GP services
In total we reviewed just under half the GP Surgeries located in the borough. Are you interested in reading the reports of the other GP practices we have visited?