Our aim was to find out whether the Emergency Department was meeting the needs of its patients and, if appropriate, to make recommendations about how the service may be improved.
We visited on three occasions at times when the department was likely to be busy. We gathered feedback from 80 patients/carers and 5 staff members.
- the department appeared to be well run and working hard to meet the increasing demands
- there were large number of positive comments about staff, with staff working hard and providing thoughtful and professional care to the patients
- good cleanliness and appearance of the departments, including the renovated Majors and Resuscitation areas
- lack of consistent food and drink provision to patients in Majors
- issues of the provision of personal care
- staff did not always explain to patients what was going to happen next
- long waits for patients with mental health conditions to be assessed
We made seven recommendations to the Hospital based on our main findings, for further details please download our Full Report.
Read our full report that includes our recommendations and the response from Kingston Hospital.